Four of a Kind, Straight, and Full House are among the strongest hands in poker. But does a Straight beat a Full House?
The simple answer to it is: No, a Straight cannot beat a Full House in poker. A Straight can only beat Three of a kind, Two Pairs, Pair, and a High Card.
In online poker rooms, a lot of poker variations are available to choose from and play. Be it the ease of playing in Texas Hold’em or a much wider range of hands in Omaha, there’s one thing in common for all the variations which is the poker sequence a.k.a. the poker hand rankings. They determine how strong or weak the strength of a hand is in the game.
What is a Full House Hand in Poker and How does a Straight Not Beat a Full House?
Also known as a full boat or a boat and full hand, Full House is one of the strongest-ranking hands in poker. It sits at the 4th position in the hands ranking in poker. There are only three hands that can beat a full house which are a Royal Flush, a Straight Flush, and Four of a Kind. Therefore, a straight cannot beat a Full House.
What is a Straight Hand in Poker?
When five cards are arranged in a sequence, they form what we call a straight in poker. A Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush can beat a straight in poker. It is ranked at the 4th position in the poker hierarchy.
Examples Of A Full House In Poker
K♥ K♦ K♠ 10♣ 10♠
J♥ J♦ J♠ 5♣ 5♠
5♥ 5♦ 5♣ 10♠ 10♥
Examples Of A Straight In Poker
10♥ 9♣ 8♦ 7♠ 6♥
Q♥ J♦ 10♣ 9♥ 8♦
A♣ 2♦ 3♣ 4♥ 5♦
Straight Vs. a Full House In Poker
Using a standard deck of 52 cards, there are 10,200 possible ways to make a straight whereas there are 3,744 ways in which a full house can be made in poker.
What cards can beat a full house?
- Straight flush &
- Royal Flush
Does straight flush beat full house?
Yes, a straight flush beats a full house as per the poker hand rankings.
What Beats What In Poker?
Players must know the value of the card they are holding. In standard poker, suits do not matter. The highest hand in poker is considered to be the royal flush which can beat any other powerful poker hand. A common poker mistake that players make is underestimating the hand of their opponent. Well, this shouldn’t be the case. Here are the hand rankings with the help of which you can learn what hand ranking outranks the other:
- A Royal Flush beats any other hand in poker, though this hand is very rare to get!
- A Straight Flush beats Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush, Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card
- Four of a Kind consists of four matching cards and one other card of any rank. It beats Full a House, Flush, Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card
- A Full House beats a Flush, Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card
- A Flush hand beats a Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, Pair, High Card
- A Straight beats, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, A Pair, High Card
- Three of a Kind beats Two Pair, A Pair, High Card
- Two Pair beats a Pair and a High Card hand
- A High Card can be beaten by any other poker sequence except for a lower-ranked high-card hand